Free referral to Weight Watchers from your GP or another healthcare professional if you are resident in Hampshire or registered with a GP practice in Hampshire, are identified as obese (with a BMI of 30 or over) OR are overweight (with a BMI of 28 or over) AND with a medical condition that is adversely affected by your weight e.g. high blood pressure, musculoskeletal issues, cardiovascular disease risk, asthma, high blood glucose, or are pregnant.
You have to be 18 or over, not have an eating disorder and have not previously attended self-funded sessions (with Weight watchers or a similar weight management provider) in the 3 months prior to referral.
We encourage men as well as women to take advantage of this excellent opportunity for free help.
The course is free-you can choose between either 12 sessions of weekly Weight Watchers meetings with full access to all the online tools (desktop and App tools) OR you can choose to access Weight Watchers online only. You will need referral form from your GP, then you ring the number on the form and quote a reference number to access the service for free.
Change4Life -This is a great national website that has healthy easy to prepare recipes from breakfast to dinner (and even puddings!). There is a link to the new Sugar Smart app which you can get on iTunes or on Google Play. You can find local activities based on your postcode. There is an excellent section on what to do if your child is very overweight, overweight, a healthy weight or underweight.
NHS weight loss guide
An excellent 12-week weight loss guide combining advice on healthy eating and physical activity with an information pack for each week of the plan plus a stick on the fridge planner to help you tract your weekly progress. Created by The British Dietetic Association.
A way to think about the hundreds of decisions you make every day that affect your eating, activity, and overall health. Although it is a deceptively simple question, asking “Am I hungry?” opens the door to a greater understanding about why, when, what, how, and how much you eat, and where you invest your energy.
As a company, Am I Hungry? offers programs, training, retreats, and resources to help you and your clients, patients, and/or employees recognize and take charge of those decisions for a sustainable, balanced lifestyle.
Get Active Exercise GP referral scheme
Your GP or another health care professional can refer you to this 12 week gym based/exercise programme within Rushmoor or Hart.
Rushmoor Referral Programme
Promotes physical, mental and social wellbeing for over 16’s who are currently inactive and have an underlying health condition. Ask your GP or practice nurse. They want to help you help yourself.
Participating Leisure centres in Rushmoor
Farnborough Leisure Centre – Get Active Co-ordinator, Farnborough Leisure Centre, Kinetika Gym, Westmead, Farnborough, GU14 7LE, 01252 370411/554034
Connaught Leisure Centre – Get Active Co-ordinator, Connaught Leisure Centre, Tongham Road, Aldershot, GU12 4AS, 01252 344438
Aldershot pools complex- Get Active Co-ordinator, Guildford Road, Aldershot, GU12 4BP, 01252 323482,
Participating Leisure Centres in Hart
Frogmore Leisure Centre, Potley Hill Road, Yateley, Hants, GU46 6AG
Hart Leisure Centre, Hitches Lane, Fleet, Hants, GU51 5HS
- Appointment 1 – You will meet the GP referral specialist to discuss the reason for your referral and complete a physical readiness questionnaire. Free of charge.
- Appointment 2 – You will be shown the correct use of the gym equipment; an exercise programme will then be developed, taking into consideration the reason for your referral, your individual fitness level and abilities. Free of Charge
- You are then ready to start the gym/exercise sessions as often as you wish (or advised) throughout the 12 week period. You can pay as you go or membership options are available to you. These are at subsidised rates, please ask your Get Actice Co-ordinator for up to date details.
- The gym specialist will touch base with you at 3, 6 and 9 weeks to discuss your progress and arrange a review if required.
- 12 weeks – an exit interview at which they will advise you on how to maintain a healthy active lifestyle for your future.
- A feedback form will be sent to the referring GP informing them of your progress if requested.
- You will be contacted again 6 months after the end of your 12 weeks and one year to see if you have continued with an exercise programme.
- Please note you may only be referred once within a one year period.
Get Active Hampshire & IOW
Your one stop shop for sports and physical activities in Hampshire & IOW. Find a sport or activity that can help you be more active. Type in your postcode and off you go.
Rides will be starting from the Hart Leisure Centre at 10.00am; will be on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month starting at 10.00amand last no more than 90 minutes. Suitable for all ages who are competent riding a bike on the public road. Routes will be on road or surfaced cycle path unless advised otherwise in advance.
email email@example.com or text 07957 193922 if you plan to join in. The first 3 rides are free. Pedal2Gether we will be asking adults for an annual subscription of £5 to cover admin costs and ride leader liability insurance.
RIOT Squad (Running Is Our Therapy)
This new running club in Fleet and surrounding areas is helping complete beginners to get from couch to 5k and beyond.
Coached sessions:7am –Tuesday and Thursday mornings
7pm –Monday and Thursday evenings
My Journey – walking in Aldershot Park
Visit the website: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow the group on Twitter: @myjourneyhants
... and on Facebook: facebook.com/myjourneyhants
Women only cycle rides
Visit the Facebook page
....and the website: email@example.com
or call: 01252397763