As there is no known cause for dementia it is difficult to know how to prevent or avoid it.
However, there are a number of factors which are thought to contribute to its development and progression.
- increasing age
- a family history of the condition
- previous severe head injuries
- lifestyle factors and conditions associated with cardiovascular disease, i.e.
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- being overweight or obese
- having a family history of cardiovascular disease
- ethnic background
- alcohol consumption